Rural municipality in Saskatchewan, Canada
The Rural Municipality of Arlington No. 79 (2016 population: 366) is a rural municipality (RM) in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan within Census Division No. 4 and SARM Division No. 3. It is located in the southwestern region of the province east of Shaunavon.
The RM of Arlington No. 79 incorporated as a rural municipality on January 1, 1913.
Communities and localities
The following unincorporated communities are within the RM.
Pine Cree Regional Park
Pine Cree Regional Park is a park in the RM, just north of the Highway 13 and 633 junction between Shaunavon and Eastend.
The park was officially founded as a regional park in 1970 as a small natural environment park. Prior to being a regional park, Everett Baker began developing the area in the 1950s as a place for people to go to appreciate nature. The formation of the park was to commemorate Everett Baker and Irish-Canadian naturalist John Macoun, with the Geological Survey of Canada. John Macoun had camped extensively in the area in the 1880s.
The park is situated alongside Swift Current Creek and features 27-nonserviced campsites, a picnic area, hiking, a camp kitchen, and wildlife viewing.
|Source: Statistics Canada via Saskatchewan Bureau of Statistics|
In the 2021 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, the RM of Arlington No. 79 had a population of 359 living in 87 of its 99 total private dwellings, a change of -1.9% from its 2016 population of 366. With a land area of 841.62 km2 (324.95 sq mi), it had a population density of 0.4/km2 (1.1/sq mi) in 2021.
In the 2016 Census of Population, the RM of Arlington No. 79 recorded a population of 366 living in 84 of its 97 total private dwellings, a 6.1% change from its 2011 population of 345. With a land area of 846.79 km2 (326.95 sq mi), it had a population density of 0.4/km2 (1.1/sq mi) in 2016.
The RM of Arlington No. 79 is governed by an elected municipal council and an appointed administrator that meets on the second Wednesday of every month. The reeve of the RM is Donald Lundberg while its administrator is Richard Goulet. The RM’s office is located in Shaunavon.
- “Pre-packaged CSV files – CGN, Canada/Province/Territory (cgn_sk_csv_eng.zip)”. Government of Canada. July 24, 2019. Retrieved May 23, 2020.
- “Rural Municipality Incorporations (Alphabetical)”. Saskatchewan Ministry of Municipal Affairs. Archived from the original on April 21, 2011. Retrieved May 9, 2020.
- “Municipality Details: RM of Arlington No. 79”. Government of Saskatchewan. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- “Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2016 and 2011 censuses – 100% data (Saskatchewan)”. Statistics Canada. February 8, 2017. Retrieved May 1, 2020.
- Government of Canada, Natural Resources Canada. “Place names – Pine Cree Regional Park (Pine Cree Section)”. www4.rncan.gc.ca.
- “Pine Cree”.
- “Pine Cree Regional Park | Tourism Saskatchewan”.
- “Saskatchewan Census Population” (PDF). Saskatchewan Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 24, 2015. Retrieved May 9, 2020.
- “Saskatchewan Census Population”. Saskatchewan Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved May 9, 2020.
- “Population and dwelling counts: Canada, provinces and territories, census divisions and census subdivisions (municipalities), Saskatchewan”. Statistics Canada. February 9, 2022. Retrieved April 13, 2022.