Jack Kilmer – Wikipedia
American actor (born 1995)
Kilmer in 2013
John Wallace Kilmer
June 6, 1995
John Wallace “Jack” Kilmer (born June 6, 1995) is an American actor known for starring in the 2013 film Palo Alto, for playing Pelle “Dead” Ohlin in the 2018 Norwegian black metal biopic Lords of Chaos, and for playing Ozzy Osbourne in Ozzy’s “Under the Graveyard” video. He is also the narrator of Val, a documentary about his father Val Kilmer.
Kilmer, born to actors Joanne Whalley and Val Kilmer, was named after his mother. Jack grew up in Los Angeles and attended primary school at The Center for Early Education, where he met would-be filmmaker Gia Coppola (he was in the first grade; she was in the sixth).
Coppola asked him to review her script for Palo Alto, a film adaptation of James Franco’s book of the same name which she also planned to direct. She asked him to advise whether the dialog was an authentic reflection of “kids today”. After he ran through a table read with her, she encouraged him to audition for one of the film’s main roles, Teddy. Coppola filmed him as he read through the lines and this became his audition tape; he eventually won the role. After he was cast as Teddy, his father Val Kilmer joined the cast as the father of another character. Before filming Palo Alto when he was 16 years old, Kilmer had never acted before, and did not aspire to be an actor.
The film was released in May 2014 to mostly positive reviews, and Kilmer’s performance was described as “formidable”, “naturalistic and sincere”.
Kilmer graduated from high school in 2013. He intended for his acting job on Palo Alto to be a brief project before applying to colleges, but after the film’s production he decided to enter acting full-time. In April 2014 he filmed Len and Company with Juno Temple and Rhys Ifans. He played Chet, a young film projectionist who proves vital to the investigation in the 2016 neo-noir crime buddy comedy film The Nice Guys, which was written and directed by Shane Black, who had previously worked with Jack’s father Val on the 2005 crime buddy comedy Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
Jack Kilmer also provided extensive narration for the 2021 documentary Val which details the life of his father, actor Val Kilmer. In reviewing the documentary, many critics noted the similarity in voice between Jack and his father as a young man. The film premiered on Amazon Prime on August 6, 2021 following a screening at the Cannes Film Festival.
Kilmer enjoys surfing and skateboarding, and is a musician and model.
- ^ a b c d Chang, Kee (April 27, 2014). “Jack Kilmer Plays His Card”. Anthem Magazine. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- ^ a b c d e f g Creeden, Molly (August 2014). “Jack Kilmer”. Interview. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- ^ a b c Aquino, Tara (May 9, 2014). “Jack Kilmer Talks Working With Dad Val Kilmer in “Palo Alto”“. Complex. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- ^ Blickley, Leigh (April 24, 2014). “Jack Kilmer Talks ‘Palo Alto,’ His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents”. The Huffington Post. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- ^ a b Leon, Melissa (May 9, 2014). “Jack Kilmer on His Breakout Role in ‘Palo Alto’ and Life as Val Kilmer’s Son”. The Daily Beast. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- ^ Brian Lowry. “Val Kilmer leads a tantalizing tour of his life and career in ‘Val’“. CNN. Retrieved August 8, 2021.