China University of Petroleum – Wikipedia
University in China
|Shí Dà Běijīng (石大北京)|
The China University of Petroleum (simplified Chinese: 中国石油大学; traditional Chinese: 中國石油大學; pinyin: Zhōngguó Shíyóu Dàxué) is a state Double First Class University in China. It consists of China University of Petroleum (Beijing), and China University of Petroleum (Huadong). Both are regarded as the best universities in China according to the QS World University Rankings by Subjects in “Petroleum Engineering” subjects. It is placed under the administration of the Ministry of Education. The China University of Petroleum (including the two entities of UPC and CUP) is a Chinese state Double First Class University included in the Double First Class University Plan, approved by the central government of China.
The China University of Petroleum has two individual entities, UPC and CUP. China University of Petroleum (Beijing) (CUP) is located in Beijing, and China University of Petroleum (Huadong) (UPC) is located in Qingdao and Dongying, Shandong Province.
The university, founded in 1953, was known then as Beijing Petroleum Institute. It was founded acquiring the best petroleum associated departments in the country:
- Petroleum research groups in Department of Geology, Department of Mining and Department of Chemical Engineering from Tsinghua University
- Petroleum research groups in four departments of Peiyang University (now Tianjin University)
- Part of Department of Chemical Engineering from Peking University
- Part of Department of Mathematics from Yanching University (now merged into Peking University)
- Some students and faculty from fluid fuel research group in Department of Chemical Engineering from Dalian Institute of Technology (now Dalian University of Technology)
- Some students and faculty in Department of Mining and Department of Chemical Engineering from Northwestern Polytechnical Institute (now the Northwestern Polytechnical University)
It moved to Dongying, Shandong Province in 1969, with name changed to Huadong Petroleum Institute. In 1988, it was renamed The University of Petroleum consisting of one part in Dongying as the college and one in Beijing as the graduate school. Each gradually developed into universities with both undergraduate and graduate students. In January 2005, its name changed to China University of Petroleum. In 2004, China University of Petroleum (Huadong) began to move to Qingdao, and completed the relocation in 2012. The Dongying campus currently serves as the base for continuing education, remote education, research laboratories, and industry collaboration.
China University of Petroleum specializes in upstream, midstream and downstream petroleum science and engineering, in the overall level of domestic lead. Its five national key disciplines (second-level) are:
- Chemical Engineering and Technology
- Mineral Resources Prospecting and Exploration
- Oil and Gas Well Engineering
- Oil and Gas Storage and Transportation Engineering
- Oil and Gas Field Development Engineering
China University of Petroleum-Beijing has two campuses, one in Changping District, Beijing and the other in Karamay, Xinjiang. It also has its own graduate school under the administration of Ministry of Education. In 1997, it became of member of the first “Project 211” universities and in 2006 it was nominated as one of the universities to construct National Innovation Platform for Advantageous Disciplines. Now, both of the two entities are included in the Chinese state Double First Class University Plan.
Beijing campus is situated in Changping District, Beijing, covers an area of 0.331 km2. Until January 2017, there are 1436 teachers, in which 237 professors including two academicians of Chinese Academy of Science (Wang Tieguan and Gao Deli) and two academicians of Chinese Academy of Engineering (Shen Zhonghou and Li Gensheng), and 350 associate professors, in Beijing campus. There are 9 professors received the title of Changjiang Distinguished Professor for Changjiang Scholars Program.
Beijing campus currently has 7,714 undergraduate students, 5,538 Master students, 1,142 PhDs and approximately 800 overseas students from 52 countries.
The Secretary of the Party Committee of China University of Petroleum – Beijing is Shan Honghong (since January 2017) who is the former president of China University of Petroleum (East China). The President of Beijing Campus is Zhang Laibin (since June 2005).
Karamay campus opened in October 2015, with the support from Beijing campus, Ministry of Education, Government on both provincial and municipal levels, as well as the China National Petroleum Corporation.
Karamay campus is located in Karamay, Xinjiang and covers an area of 4.8 km2. The Principal of Karamay campus is Zhang Shicheng (since March 2016) who is the Vice President in Beijing campus as well (since September 2008).
Karamay campus is geographically close to several countries in China’s Belt and Road Initiative, namely, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Mongolia. It teaches engineering, economics, finance, business, management, computer science, information technology, TCFL (Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language).
At present, the teachers are constituted by two parts: about one half are assigned by Beijing campus, who are either professors or associate professors, and the other half are employed by Karamay campus, of whom two thirds are PhDs. The scope of teaching and research covers areas like Geological Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Geophysical Prospecting, Well Testing, Chemical Engineering, Mechanics, Storage and Transport, and Electric Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Materials, Computer, Ideological Politics, Humanities, Foreign Languages, and P.E.
In the fall semester of 2016, it enrolled the first batch of 461 undergraduate students from 16 nationwide.
Qingdao and Dongying
China University of Petroleum – Huadong is located in Qingdao. It also manages its old campus in Dongying.
Rankings and reputation
China University of Petroleum is often ranked no.1 among Chinese universities in the field of petroleum related subjects and 41st globally according to the latest QS World University Rankings by Subjects in “Petroleum Engineering” subjects.
Global University Rankings of CUP:
The alumni of CUP include the top officials of China, CEOs of major oil companies, members of Chinese Academy of Sciences, and members of Chinese Academy of Engineering, etc. The most famous alumni are,
- ^ a b “China University of Petroleum，Beijing”. Top Universities. July 16, 2015. Retrieved October 16, 2020.
- ^ a b “Engineering – Petroleum”. Top Universities. June 29, 2020. Retrieved October 16, 2020.
- ^ “教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知” [Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first-class universities and disciplines] (in Chinese).
- ^ a b “中华人民共和国教育部直属高等学校 Archived copy”. 中华人民共和国教育部. Archived from the original (URL) on June 20, 2016. Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- ^ a b c d e “中国石油大学（北京）克拉玛依校区学校简介 Archived copy”. China University of Petroleum – Beijing at Karamay. July 1, 2016. Archived from the original (URL) on February 2, 2017. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- ^ a b c “中国石油大学（北京）校领导” (URL). China University of Petroleum – Beijing. January 5, 2017. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- ^ a b c “中国石油大学（北京）历史沿革” (URL). China University of Petroleum – Beijing at Karamay. November 3, 2015. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- ^ “China University of Petroleum – Beijing | Academic Ranking of World Universities – 2020 | Shanghai Ranking – 2020”. www.shanghairanking.com. Retrieved October 16, 2020.
- ^ a b “China University of Petroleum, Beijing”. Times Higher Education (THE). September 18, 2020. Retrieved October 16, 2020.
- ^ “China University of Petroleum_US News Best Global University Ranking”. US News and World Report.