From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NationsUniversity, also known as Nations University or NationsU, is a private Christian university in New Orleans, Louisiana. It only offers distance education (as well as in small learning pods and different locales)and focuses on “the development of faith and the training of Christian leaders around the world.” While NationsUniversity’s founding faculty and many of the staff are affiliated with the Churches of Christ, NationsUniversity itself is a nondenominational online Christian university, which offers certificates, bachelor’s in religious studies, and a master’s degree in theological studies, and a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree.
The school offers all of its programs through the internet and correspondence but does provide some degree of remote student services including having a full-time chaplain on staff.
The school has become a popular school for low-cost education for Church of Christ ministers in Kenya.
NationsU was incorporated in 1996 by Richard Ady, Mac Lynn, and Darrell Frazier. Ady and Lynn had been college classmates. Ady’s career had been in church work and Lynn had worked in higher education as a teacher and administrator. Ady had previously founded the World English Institute. Gathering volunteers who would travel around the globe, conducting courses and seminars in religious studies, was the plan. As time progressed, around two hundred volunteers were enlisted to provide assistance. As the group’s activity strengthened, the demand for religious degree programs strengthened. Therefore, the organization became officially incorporated in Louisiana on July 19, 1996 as NationsUniversity.
The school celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2020 with an online event during the COVID19 pandemic.
NationsU offers three different degree programs and three certificate programs. These programs include:
- Certificate of Biblical Studies
- Certificate in Christian Ministry
- Graduate Certificate in Biblical Studies·
- Bachelor of Religious Studies
- Master of Theological Studies
- Master of Divinity
In 2011 the student announced that it has served 5,000 student to date with its programs. As of December 1, 2019, active enrollment stood at 1482 students in 100 countries and 40 states within the U.S. Of the total enrollment, 328 were formally admitted into the Certificate in Biblical Studies, 228 to the Bachelor of Religious Studies, 80 to the Master of Theological Studies, and 47 to the Master of Divinity. The remainder were as yet not formally admitted to a specific program of study  and as of December 31, 2018, 1,369 degrees have been awarded since the founding in 1996.
Accreditation and Affliations
The institution is accredited by The Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC).
Since 2019, the institution has been a member of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability.
- Tryggestad, Erik “NationsUniversity appoints new president” Christian Chronicle (Feb. 7, 2011) (accessed Mar 12, 2023)
- Trggestad, Erik “A Church of Christ on wheels” Christian Chronicle (Nov. 15, 2017) (accessed March 12, 2023)
- Mission, NationsUniversity website
- “Who is chaplain Allen” ChaplainsCorner.org
- “Out of Africa” World English Institute (Dec. 1, 2007) (accessed Mar 13, 2023)
- Parks, Ted “Dialogue: A Conversation with Mac Lynn” Christian Chronicle (Feb. 1, 2001) (Accessed March 12, 2023)
- History of Nations University, Nations University website
- “25th Anniversary Event – NationsUniversity”
- Tryggestad, Erik “NationsUniversity enrollment tops 5,000” Christian Chronicle (Sept. 9, 2011) (Accessed March 12, 2023)
- Nations University Student Enrollment, Nations University website, accessed March 3, 2019
- “NU Success Indicators”
- “NationsU – Accreditation with Distance Education Accrediting Commission”.
- “NationsUniversity accreditation renewed” RNS: Religion News Serivce (June 19, 2019) (accessed Mar 13, 2023)
- “NationsUniversity” ECFA.org
- “NationsUniveristy accredited by national fianancial accountability organization” RNS Religion News Service (Sept. 12, 2019) (accessed Mar 12, 2023)