Syeda Mehrbano Kazim (Urdu: سیدہ مہر بانو کاظم), known by the stage name Juggun “Jay” Kazim (Urdu: جگن کاظم), is a Pakistani Canadian actress, television host, and YouTube personality. She has worked in numerous Pakistani and Canadian films. She is the brand ambassador for Garnier Fructis Pakistan.
Juggan Kazim was born in Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan to a Kashmiri Punjabi Muslim family. She has an elder sister and a younger brother. Her uncle, Raza Kazim, is a lawyer and supporter of the arts. The famed journalist Nasim Zehra is her aunt.
Her parents separated when she was a year old. Her father, Syed Abbas Kazim, let her work as a child model because “he looked upon it as something cute”, she says, even though her family considered acting—her ambition from an early age—to be too lowly a field for a girl of her station. Her father was conservative in his ideas about women, and her mother, Ghazala Saigol, was more modern.
She attended Kinnaird College and the King’s College, Canada, where she received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Media. She also holds a Cisco Certified Network Associate certification.
In December 2004, Kazim returned from Canada to Pakistan, when she married with Ahmed Tajik, she met him while attending a friend’s wedding. After just over a year of marriage, during which Ahmed beat her, she left him, taking their two-month-old son, Hamza, with her. The father is not involved in her son’s upbringing; she says this was a mutual decision, influenced by her experiences as the child of divorced parents. She married Feisal H Naqvi, with whom she has another son, Hassan, on 27 June 2013 and a daughter, Noor Bano on 9th October 2020.
Juggan Kazim is fluent in Urdu, English as well as Punjabi.
Kazim has been involved in media work since she was four years old. In 1985–86 she did advertisements for Samsonite and other products.
She appeared in her first commercial play when she was fourteen, directed by her best friend Mashal Peerzada. Her professional career, where she started using the name “Juggan Kazim”, began in Toronto, when Sutherland Models approached her to work as a model. Kazim made her feature film debut in the lead role of “Gugan” in the Gaurav Seth’s film Pink Ludoos opposite Shaheen Khan (known for Bend It Like Beckham). Since then, she appeared in an episode of David Wellington’s The Eleventh Hour, directed by T.W. Peacock. Kazim hosted her own television show at age 16 until she left Pakistan to pursue her passion for acting in North America. She has also appeared in numerous stage productions in her home town as well as in Toronto. Most recently she played the lead and title role in “Tara” produced by Rasik Arts under the direction of Sally Jones. She mainly does print modeling; her 5-foot-2-inch (1.57 m) stature makes her think that “I’d look rather stupid walking the ramp.” After two music videos with Sutherland, she was approached by Newton Landry Management, who remain her Canadian agents.
After returning to Pakistan, she started hosting television with the show Beanbag, which she also conceived and wrote. Since then, she has hosted a number of shows for various Pakistani networks. In March 2010, Kazim was named as L’Oréal’s “Brand Ambassador” for their Garnier brand of hair and skin-care products in Pakistan.
In 2010, Juggan won Best Supporting Actress Award for Meri Unsuni Kahani on Pakistan Media Award.
In March 2011, Kazim acted opposite Shaan Shahid in Altaf Hussain’s Lollywood film Khamosh Raho. As of 6 March 2011[update], Hussain planned to release the film in Pakistan on 10 June 2011. She is also starring opposite Mohib Mirza, Sanam Baloch and Sunita Marshall in Mirza’s upcoming film Silent Cinema.
Since 2011, she is the host of the show “Morning with Juggun” which airs on Pakistan Television Corporation’s (PTV Home) on weekdays.
TV Host of programs
- Waqas Habib Rana (2 November 2014), “Juggan Kazim: A charmed life” Dawn (newspaper), Retrieved 5 February 2020
- Safdar, Hina (10 May 2010). “Being Juggan Kazim”. Rewaj.pk website. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 5 February 2020.
- “L’ORÉAL PAKISTAN (PRIVATE) LIMITED reveals Juggun Kazim as ‘Garnier Brand Ambassador’ in Pakistan”. Fashion Central. Pakistan: E2ESP. 29 March 2010. Retrieved 5 February 2020.
- Marylou Andrew (20 September 2017). “Affairs of the heart – Juggan Kazim, actor, host and model”. Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 5 February 2020.
- heena. “An Interview with Juggan Kazim”. apnimarzi.com website. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 5 February 2020.
- Juggan Kazim with Ex-Husband Adnan Ghafoor Profile of Juggan Kazim on web.pk website, Published 11 June 2013, Retrieved 5 February 2020
- “Interview: Juggan Kazim | People | Newsline”. Newslinemagazine.com. 27 June 2010. Archived from the original on 19 March 2012. Retrieved 5 February 2020.
- Saima Salman (16 March 2014). “The big, fat Pakistani wedding”. Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 5 February 2020.
- Usman, Ali (5 March 2011). “Lollywood: From the set of Khamosh Raho”. The Express Tribune (newspaper). Retrieved 5 February 2020.
- Juggan Kazim and film ‘Khamosh Raho’ (2011) article Retrieved 5 February 2020
- “Mast Morning With Juggan Kazim Started on Dawn TV”. Awamiweb.com. Retrieved 5 February 2020.
- Sleepy Juggan Dawn (newspaper), Published 6 March 2011, Retrieved 5 February 2020